- The likelihood of being involved in a shark accident is considerably smaller than winning the top prize in lottery.
- Probability of accidents in water sports activities (USA coastal states, 2000)
Number of water sports activities 264,156,728 Deaths caused by drowning 74 Shark accidents 23
Deaths caused by shark accidents 0 Drowning 1 case out of 3.5 millionen water sports activities Shark accidents 1 case out of 11.5 millionen water sports activities Deaths caused by shark accidents 0 out of 264.2 millionen water sports activities
- Alone in the USA and Canada approximately 40 people are killed each year by pigs – six times more than by sharks worldwide.
- In Australia the possibility of drowning is 20 times higher than being bitten by a shark.
- In the USA the probability is 16 times higher of being hit by lightning than being bitten by a shark.
- Around the world, considerably more people are killed by falling coconuts than are bitten by sharks.
- Alone in New York people are bitten 10 times more each year by other people than worldwide by sharks.